Home > Blog > 6 Washington, DC Bike Trails to Ride this Year
6 Washington, DC Bike Trails to Ride this Year
Spring is right around the corner, and that means it’s almost time to get outside and appreciate everything Mother Nature has to offer! Whether you’re an avid cycler or just enjoy an occasional ride with the family, relaxation and joy can be found on an outdoor bike riding adventure. And thankfully, the DC area is full of options for an enjoyable ride — for both expert cyclists and amateur riders.
Washington, DC Bike Trails
We’ve put together a list of our favorite DC bike trails for you to try this spring and summer.
- The Chesapeake and Ohio Canal. This historic park spans 184.5 miles, following the peaceful Potomac River, and you can find trail access in Georgetown. Keep in mind: this trail is unpaved, so bikes with thicker tires are recommended.
- The Sligo Creek Trail. This well-paved trail offers 10 miles of adventure for active families and inexperienced riders. This scenic trail follows Sligo Creek and has a lot of sights to offer riders, but it does cross a few major roads, so be sure to stay safe during rush hour traffic.
- The Sugarloaf Mountain Park. This beautiful park located about an hour outside of the city offers incredible workouts in the form of two mountain-bike trails and three hiking-only trails. If you decide to tackle the mountain-bike trails, be warned that there are four to five hills you’ll have to tame.
- The Capital Crescent Trail. With 11 miles of paved and crushed-stone paths, you can expect plenty of cooling shade along the abandoned B&O Railroad. If you want an easy ride, plan to follow the trail south as it’s mostly downhill.
- The Metropolitan Branch Trail. If you don’t mind the many commuters on this trail, this can be a fun, unique 8-mile path. There are a variety of murals you can stop and enjoy as you ride through historic neighborhoods like Brookland, Brightwood and Takoma.
- The Anacostia Riverwalk Trail. This 20-mile-long trail is one of the most family-friendly rides in the entire DC area. Named for the river it follows, this path provides plenty of scenic views of the city.
Enjoy Biking in DC all Season Long, Then Store Your Bike with Self Storage Plus
Here in DC, the springs, summers and falls are the perfect time to enjoy any of the biking trails above and more. Of course, all good things must come to an end when our frigid winter rolls in again. If you’re short on space in your home or apartment, keep your bike out of the damaging weather with a storage space from Self Storage Plus!
Our climate controlled storage units keep items like your bike safe from fluctuating temperature changes, so it’s ready to ride again when the weather warms back up. And, you can rest easy at night knowing that your belongings are kept safe with 24-hour video recordings, computerized access and other state-of-the-art security features.
Keep your belongings in the right condition by reserving a self storage unit from Self Storage Plus today!c