Home > Blog > Eliminate Clutter from Your Home with These Tips
Eliminate Clutter from Your Home with These Tips
It’s a vicious cycle: You get tired of having too much stuff, so you go through the process of clutter removal by cleaning your home. Then, a short time later, clutter seems to have slowly crept back in until you find yourself asking, “Didn’t I just do this?” But it’s possible to step off the clutter merry-go-round. The biggest key is to prevent the clutter from accumulating. While that may sound obvious, few people are able to do it. But with our 6 tips, you’ll be safely on the hodgepodge-free path that could help eliminate clutter for good.
6 Ways to Prevent Clutter from Accumulating
- Purge Frequently: Even when you live a life of simplicity, clutter tends to find its way into your home. That’s why you should consider scheduling a handful of days every year (like the start of a new year) to sort through all your possessions (especially those things in forgotten areas of your house like drawers, closets, the garage and basement) and eliminate items you no longer want or need.
- Make a List: We’ve all been there. We’re done shopping and couldn’t possibly fit anything else into our cart. But just when you think you’re about to make it out the door, there are racks of “impulse buys” right by the register. Those little things that you feel compelled to purchase because they’re so cheap. Of course, those probably aren’t the only things you may feel the urge to pick up. By shopping with a list, it’s easier to focus on only the items you need. Spot something you really like? Think about it for a day or two. If you still want it and there’s a place in your home for it, go back and get it.
- Realize Budgeting Is Your Friend: Rather than trying to create new places for your miscellaneous items, clear out the items that don’t have a purpose. Then when everything feels sorted, create a budget — and don’t designate too much income to the miscellaneous spending category. If possible, live below your means. This will help prevent you from stockpiling items you don’t need or won’t use. You can put any leftover income into savings or use it for experiences rather than things.
- Put Everything in Its Place: By creating a designated spot for everything — from your favorite shirt to the cute knickknack you picked up at a garage sale — you can quickly see what doesn’t fit. It’s also easier to put things back where they belong when they have their own place. Plus, if you run out of room to put things, you know it’s time to start purging.
- Start a Good Habit: One of the most important steps you can take in avoiding clutter is putting items away as soon as you’re finished using them. If you’re not in the habit of doing that, it can be a difficult task to remember at first. Just keep reminding yourself to do it for a while, and it will eventually become second nature.
- Go Easy on Yourself: There will be times when you have an “off day” (or week or month) and don’t feel like organizing — it happens to all of us. It’s important to give yourself a break, as long as “taking a break” doesn’t become the norm. When you’re feeling like yourself again, remember to get back to business.
Live Clutter-Free With Self Storage Plus!
As you sort through your possessions and find things that no longer belong in your home, but you still want to hang onto, a storage unit with Self Storage Plus could be the ideal solution. Our years of experience mean you receive the best service and storage solutions, from climate controlled units to vehicle storage. We even make taking care of monotonous tasks simple by offering online bill pay.
To see how easy self storage can be, start by finding a Self Storage Plus storage facility near you!