Home > Blog > Considering Climate Controlled Storage? Get the Facts
Considering Climate Controlled Storage? Get the Facts
If you’ve decided that you need extra storage for your belongings, the next step is to find a storage unit with the right qualities. You may be asking yourself, “How important is climate controlled storage for my belongings?” The answer to that question depends on what you want to store and the level of protection you want them to have.
If you’re wondering, “Are there any climate controlled storage units near me?” Self Storage Plus features a variety of storage options that will provide some of the benefits listed below.
Why Use a Climate Controlled Storage Facility?
- Keep your items in a comfortable temperature range. On the East Coast we experience all four seasons, so temperatures can go scorching-hot in the summer and dip to near (or even below) freezing in the winter. These extreme temperatures can damage your belongings if you have them stored in your basement, attic or a non-climate controlled storage space. But you won’t know about it until you pull your items out of storage. Imagine finding warped musical instruments, split wooden furniture, and even cracked antiques and heirlooms. To avoid this damage, keep your possessions out of the extreme temperatures and in a climate controlled storage area.
- Climate control should be more than just temperature. Many storage facilities advertise that they offer climate control, but all they really offer is temperature control. Real climate controlled facilities like Self Storage Plus also maintain proper humidity levels. That way you can feel good about storing your sensitive items at one of our facilities.
- Better air quality means better protection. A climate controlled storage facility is typically sealed and insulated differently than standard storage units. This means they can continuously circulate clean air to keep the air quality surrounding your possessions fresh. Temperature and humidity control along with better air quality helps create an ideal environment for your most fragile possessions, such as electronics, photographs, artwork and paper documents.
- Add an additional barrier between your belongings and the outside world. Climate controlled self storage facilities typically have increased insulation, which leaves them less vulnerable to flooding, pests, dust and debris than standard storage units.
- You have additional peace of mind. Opting for a climate controlled space offers significantly more peace of mind than a standard storage unit. You can rest easy knowing your belongings are kept safely away from seasonal temperature changes and any dirt or debris issues.
Items that Should Be Stored in a Climate Controlled Storage Facility:
- Wooden, metal, wicker, leather or upholstered furniture
- DVDs, CDs, vinyl records and other types of media
- Paper documents and photographs
- Musical instruments
- Antiques and collectibles
- Medications and medical supplies
- Anything you feel may be damaged in standard storage spaces
Get Great Climate Controlled Storage near Washington D.C. with Self Storage Plus
When you know climate controlled storage is right for you, your next step will be to choose the right facility. If you live in the Washington, D.C. area, let Self Storage Plus lend a helping hand. Our storage facility offers true climate control to help keep your items in their best condition. We also provide peace of mind with our secure, state-of-the-art facility that’s monitored 24/7. And because only Self Storage Plus employees are allowed on-site, you’ll never have to worry about others tampering with your belongings. If you’re worried about organizing your items or being able to quickly find them when you need them, our online customer portal allows you to keep track of every item with our storage bin barcodes.
To get started, contact us for a personalized quote and see how easy safe and secure storage can be!