Home > Blog > ’Tis the Season: 6 Reasons to Shop Local
’Tis the Season: 6 Reasons to Shop Local
Every time you spend money, you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want.” —Anna Lappe
We are a people of convenience. So, it makes sense that we would be drawn to online holiday shopping or one-stop shopping at big-box retailers. But when we switch to purchasing holiday gifts from national and international corporations to those doing business in our own communities — antique dealers, artisans and craftsmen — we can make an impact in our own corner of the world. If you’re looking for reasons to shop local this holiday season, you don’t have to look further than our list of benefits below.
6 Benefits to Shopping Local
- You get the royal treatment. A small business owner is going to go the extra mile to make sure you’re satisfied with your experience, whether that means helping you pick out the right gift for each person on your list or dropping an extra snack into your dessert order for your pet. That business owner is a part of the community, too, so they’re going to be invested in you and the future of your community. Have a problem with a product or service? You’re much more likely to have a better customer experience with a local shop owner who is directly connected to all their employees.
- You can find one-of-a-kind gifts for your loved ones. When you shop at stores like Target and Walmart, you end up giving your friends, families and coworkers gifts that everyone across the country is receiving this year. But, when you buy from local artisans and craftsmen, you’re giving them a gift that is wholly unique.
- It’s good for your health and the environment. Purchasing fruits and vegetables from local farmers for your holiday meals can have many benefits for you and your family. Now you have access to fresh produce that’s free of the chemicals big farms use, as well eggs, dairy and meat from grass-fed, free-range animals. You’re also stopping the demand for the energy and resources needed to package and transport products across the country and even the world.
- You create more demand for more choices. Local business owners are apt to create and stock the items you want. That means they’ll have a wider selection of unique items, unlike big-box stores who focus on demands across larger areas.
- You help create and keep local jobs. If you and your neighbors are frequenting local businesses, you create a demand for their services and products. This leads to the need for more helping hands.
- It grows your local economy. When you buy from a local, small business owner, that money goes right back into your community. This sets up your hometown and city for a bright and secure future.
Shop Locally, Then Store with Self Storage Plus in the Greater Washington, DC and Baltimore Area
When you’ve shopped your fill at the local shops, you’ll need somewhere to keep those gifts away from prying eyes. Why not store local, as well? Self Storage Plus offers a variety of storage options so you’ll always have the right space to store your items — from 5×5 storage lockers to 10×20 and beyond. And because we want to help support our local communities, we’re constantly offering storage specials — we want storage to be both convenient and affordable for everyone.
Find a Self Storage Plus storage facility near you today!